Some articles on this site contain affiliate links. If you purchase through these links, we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to yourself.
We recently purchased a 42″ widescreen, flat screen, HDTV set.
And now, it’s hard to watch TV on anything smaller. (But we do… our other TV is an “old-fashioned” 20-inch television set.)
The point is… we’re really happy with our 42″ TV set. And depending on where you’re going to put it, it seems like the perfect size that would fit in most places.
Our 42-incher cost us $1,400 (from Costco). It’s a Philips. And we love it.
Now, I’m finding several 42″ widescreen TVs appearing in the 2007 Black Friday sales fliers, and I’m jealous. The prices are about half of what we paid (just 3 months ago).
$699.00 for the HCT HPP-42HCB 42″ Widescreen Plasma HDTV with NTSC/ATSC Tuners — an Early Bird Item for a limited time only at Military BX
$799.00 for the Sharp LC-42D43U 42″ Widescreen LCD HDTV with NTSC/ATSC Tuners — an Early Bird Item for a limited time only at Military BX
$899.99 for the Sharp Aquos 42″ Widescreen LCD HDTV — at Office Depot
$798.00 for the Polaroid 42″ Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD HDTV – an Early Bird Item for a limited time only at Wal-Mart
So, if you’re looking for a widescreen, flat panel, plasma, HD TV set… the upcoming Black Friday sales specials might be your best bet!
More About Our Phillips 42″ Flat Panel TV
(Not that anyone really cares…)
* Aspect ratio: 16:9
* Panel resolution: 1366 x 768
* Dynamic screen contrast: 4000:1
* Brightness: 500 cd/mÃ¯Â¿Â½
* Response time (typical): 8 ms
* Viewing angle: 176 degrees
* HDTV compatibility: 480i, 60Hz, 480p, 60Hz, 720p, 60Hz, 1080i, 60Hz
* Tuner: ATSC/NTSC/QAM
* Picture enhancement: Pixel Plus 3 HD, Dynamic contrast enhancement, 3/2 – 2/2 motion pull down, 3D Combfilter, Active Control, Progressive Scan
* Digital Content Management: Digital Media Reader
* Multimedia connections: USB memory class device
* Playback Formats: MP3, Slideshow files (.alb), JPEG Still pictures
* Screen enhancement: Anti-Reflection coated screen
* VESA compatibility: 600×400 mm
* Dimensions (WxHxD): 41.2Ã¢â‚¬Â x 27Ã¢â‚¬Â x 4.6Ã¢â‚¬Â (w/ out stand), 41.2 x 29.5Ã¢â‚¬â„¢ x 10.4Ã¢â‚¬Â (w/ stand)
* Weight (lb) : 72 (with stand), 56.3 (without stand)
* Equalizer: 5-bands
* Output power (RMS): 2 x 15W
* Sound System: Dolby Digital (AC-3), Virtual Dolby Surround
* Built-in speakers x2
* AV 1: Audio L/R in, CVBS in, YPbPr
* AV 2: Audio L/R in, YPbPr
* AV 3: HDMI
* Front / Side connections: Audio L/R in, CVBS in, Headphone out, S-video in, USB
* Audio Output – Digital: Coaxial (cinch)
* Other connections: HDMI
Source: Costco sales flier (…where the TV is currently $1,100, plus an additional $200 off)
Always on the lookout for a good bargain, I consider myself a frugal person — but not cheap. And not afraid to spend money on the things that matter. I like to share good deals with others when I find them. One of my favorite ways to save money is to reuse items in ways other than their intended purpose — so I write a lot about outside-the-box ideas that most people wouldn't think of! When I'm not saving money or looking for good deals, you'll find me at the corner of Good News & Fun Times as publisher of The Fun Times Guide (32 fun & helpful websites).