However, it depends on what you want to buy and what you want to sell.
With respect to clothing, it can sometimes be difficult to sell your clothing.
For a couple of reasons why, read Buying and Selling at Consignment Shops: Pros & Cons.
Here are a couple of reasons why it can be difficult to sell used clothing:
- The owner of a consignment business is going to be very particular about the clothing they accept for their shop. Typically, these owners want clothing in only 1 or 2 niches.
- Most consignment shop owners will only accept clothing on a particular day of the week.
Buying clothing from a consignment business can be tricky too:
- If your taste is not in the same clothing niche as the owner, then you are probably not going to find anything you want to buy.
- Consignment shops, as a rule, tend to gravitate toward female clothing only. This can make it difficult to buy clothes for a family.
Selling (or buying) furniture and household goods at a consignment business can be much easier:
- You can get large discounts on furniture and household goods at consignment shops. The prices tend to be quite a bit lower than what you would pay new.
- If you decide to sell some furniture or household items to a consignment business, then your item will probably sell quickly and for a good price.
Some tips for selling clothing to a consignment shop:
- Give your local consignment shops a call before taking your clothing in. This gives you a chance to find out what types of clothing they will accept ahead of time.
- Only consider selling clothes that are still stylish or are vintage to a consignment business.
- Visit the consignment shop first to make sure it is brightly lit, well organized, and clean. Your items will have a better chance of selling if it is.
Some tips for selling furniture or household goods to a consignment business:
- Lamps, clock radios, and CD players sell well at consignment shops, if they are in good condition.
- Baby items and toys that are clean, safe, and in good condition can also bring in a nice amount.
- Vintage pianos and mid-century items also tend to sell very well.
Another great source for buying things from a consignment business is: 7 Tips For Consignment Shopping.
The 3 tips that I found the most useful:
- Know your price range and don’t spend outside of it. Otherwise, you could end up spending far more than you want to.
- Take your time. Consignment stores can have a lot of nice goodies, and you don’t want to miss a bargain.
- Only purchase items that are like-new. Since in many cases consignment shops are a bit more expensive than thrift stores, choosing like-new clothes will help you get the most bang for your buck.